Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Book Review: The Road by Cormac McCarthy

I'm going to start keeping these short, because they're not very interesting. But on my flight to the Philippines I read The Road, which I picked up a while ago on one of those "Hey, they made a movie about it, so it has to be good" sort of hunches. It's about a father and son traveling in a post-apocalyptic wasteland. It reads as such.

So it was a well-written book. Certainly fits the mood and all of that. I'd read more by McCarthy, sure. But my feelings can kind of be wrapped up by this blurb of a gchat session.

me: just haven't slept in two days
  and read Cormac McCarthy's the Road on the flight over, which was a TERRIBLE IDEA
 AD: my god
  I happened to be home when my dad was watching that movie
10:46 PM and he was like "shit. this is bleak"
 me: dude, I am like the exact opposite of the target audience of that
 AD: WTF DID YOU EXPECT?
 me: I DONT KNOW IT WAS CHEAP AND I HEARD IT WAS GOOD
 AD: what, people who are looking forward to the end of the world
 me: people who can handle post-apocalyptical father-son tales
 AD: or who are not easily affected by shit
10:47 PM ugh. yeah
  I'm a pretty big wimp. I hear ya. shit's depressing
 me: I feel like its easy to get emotional on flights
10:48 PM I've gotten really vindictive over chick-flicks


So yeah, that's what we're dealing with. Sorry if that was a bit difficult to follow, but you get the idea. If you are the person not easily affected by shit, this is the book for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment